How to Disable Cortana In Windows 10: If you are having the latest version of Windows 10 installed on your PC, then you should know about the Cortana, an assistant for you by the Microsoft. Cortana lets you control your PC with the voice commands, similar to the Siri for iOS and Google Assistant for Android. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of regions where the Cortana feature is not available.
Cortana always keeps running itself in the background which results in more usage of Network Bandwidth and even Disk and Memory usage can be affected by the Cortana. Now, if your region does not support Cortana or simply you just don’t like it, you might wish to disable this feature on Windows 10. That’s what we gonna talk about today. In this post, we would be covering on How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10. So without any further, we do, let’s jump into it.
How to Disable Cortana In Windows 10
There are 2 methods which you can use to disable Cortana in Windows Operating System. These are:
Method 1: Renaming Cortana Folder to Disable Cortana in Windows 10
To disable Cortana in Windows 10, you need to follow these steps carefully:
- Right Click anywhere on your Taskbar and select Task Manager from the Context Menu. Alternatively, you can also open the Task Manager on your Windows 10 PC by simply pressing the Ctrl+Shift+Esc Key combination.
- On the task manager Window, you should find a button which says More Details at the bottom left, just click on it.
- Now, from the list of Processes, find the Cortana and right-click on it.
- Select Open File Location from the context menu.
- Here, rename the folder that says Microsoft.Windows. Cortana _ cw5nih2txyeewy to Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5nih2txyeewy.old.
- Now, you may get an alert message saying Folder Access denied, Don’t panic just click on Continue.
- You may get another alert message that “The Action can’t be completed because file or folder is open in another program”.
- Go back to the task manager and click on End Task button after choosing Cortana from the list.
- That’s it click on the Try Again button to finish things off.
Quick Tip: If you wish to remove the Cortana Icon from the taskbar as well, then you can do so by simply Right-Clicking anywhere on the taskbar and enabling Hidden option for Cortana.
If you find the above method difficult, then you can follow our 2nd Method to Disable Cortana in Windows 10.
Method 2: Disable Cortana in Windows 10 via Registry
To disable Cortana in Windows, you need to follow these steps carefully:
- Press the Windows + R key combination on your keyboard to open a Run Command Window.
- Here, type Regedit and hit the Enter key to open the Registry Editor Window.
- Now, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SOFTWARE >> Policies >> Microsoft >> Windows>> Windows Search and Right Click on the Windows folder and select New > Key from the Context Menu.
- Name this key as Windows Search.
- Right-Click on this Windows Search Key you just created and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value (it doesn’t really matter if you are using 64-bit version windows or 32-bit).
- Name the value “AllowCortana”.
- Now, double-click on the Allow Cortana and set its value to 0.
- Click on OK to save the changes and restart your PC.
That’s it, this would disable Cortana in Windows.
This was our take on How to Disable Cortana In Windows 10. We hope that this guide helped you to disable Cortana. Just in case you have stuck somewhere in the guide or have any questions related to the topic, then feel free to leave them in the Comments Section down below.